The Damon technique is the latest technique that uses the help of “light forces” and low friction to move teeth without traumatizing the periodontal structures.
This type of technique involves the use of self-fastening attachments, so defined as they have a housing inside where the arch can slide without rubbing against the attachments (as was the case with obsolete techniques).
Damon technology has thus brought enormous advantages:
- Greater patient comfort
Smile aesthetically improved
Less appointments and check-ups (it is possible to carry out “remote” therapy)
- Reduced treatment times
- Long lasting results
ORAL HYGIENE WITH AN ORTHODONTIC APPLIANCE
Oral hygiene is more difficult if you wear an orthodontic appliance, but it is absolutely essential to be scrupulous to avoid the onset of caries and / or inflammatory processes affecting the gums. To carry out correct hygiene with an orthodontic appliance, it is necessary to use:
- a normal toothbrush or orthodontic toothbrush, which has shorter bristles in the central part so as to adapt to the teeth on which the attachments are applied
- an inter-proximal brush, which is inserted vertically under the wire between one attachment and another; cleans the area that otherwise would not be accessible.
- specific dental floss (superfloss) It has a rigid end that allows the wire to pass under the arch and to be inserted between one tooth and another.
Retainers are used at the end of the orthodontic treatment, to favour the stabilization of the correction over time.
There are two types of restrainers which are prescribed by the specialized orthodontist depending on the specific case:
- Fixed retainer: consists of cementing a portion of metal wire on the inner face of the upper and lower dental elements (in general the area that tends to be restrained is the one that goes from the right canine to the left canine). Typically this type of treatment is performed in a single session, immediately after the removal of theorthodontic attachments.
- Removable retainer: consists in building thermoformed masks, which will have the impression of the shape of the dental arches taken at the end of the orthodontic therapy This is done in order to stabilize their appearance in the long term. Two sessions are required for this treatment. In the first session, immediately after removing the attachments, two impressions are taken, an upper and a lower one.
In the second appointment, the retainer masks and instructions for use will be delivered.